5 Proven Benefits of Avocado. Spoiler: It’s Pretty Impressive!
Whether you’re a health nut or not, it’s likely that you’ve come across many, many healthy recipes including avocado. Sure it’s a fun color and yes, it’s actually a fruit, but that’s not why it’s so popular. The truth? It’s a superfood! Avocado is widely recognized by nutritionists and health experts as one of the most powerful, healthy foods on planet earth. Here are five proven health benefits of avocado. We are certain you’ll be impressed!
1. Avocado is extraordinarily nutritious. Prized for it’s jam-packed-with-everything-good-for-you qualities, avocado is just about the best there is. With only 160 calories per serving, avocado features 2 grams of protein and 15 grams of healthy fats, plus high values of Vitamin K, C, B5, B6, E, Potassium (more than bananas), and Folate! Plus, it’s entirely low-carb friendly, contains no sodium or cholesterol, and is very low in saturated fat.
2. Avocados are heart healthy. It’s true that avocado is a high fat food; in fact, more than 3/4 of the calories in avocado come from fat…BUT WAIT. They aren’t just any fats. The fatty acid found in avocado is the same that is found in olive oil and is responsible for heart health and reducing inflammation. Plus, it’s a wonderful choice for cooking!
3. Fiber, fiber, fiber. Fiber is another powerful nutrient found in avocado. The soluble fiber takes care of the good gut bacteria in your stomach and intestines, ensuring that your body functions properly. This fiber also lowers disease risk, manages blood sugar, and assists with weight loss. BOOM.
4. It makes your body work better. Literally. Did you know that nutrients improve your body through absorption? Some nutrients are fat soluble; others are water soluble. Many of the key nutrients found in avocado are fat soluble, meaning that they must be combined with fats to do their job properly. Luckily, the high fat content in avocado combined with its high nutritional value make it the ideal combination! It can also improve the amount of antioxidants you can take in.
5. Avocado is great for prevention. Besides increasing the good, avocado also helps keep out the bad! Some studies show that avocado is beneficial in preventing cancer, reducing side effects of chemotherapy, and even inhibiting the growth of cancer cells. While these studies were isolated, there is strong evidence showing the goodness of the fruit. Another perk? Avocado has shown that avocado extracts can reduce symptoms of arthritis!
The Bottom Line? Avocado is your friend. For some excellent (and we mean EXCELLENT) recipes for avocado, check out the following links. Have fun!
Another perk? These are perfect for Super Bowl Sunday!